NOTICE OF NON-DISCRIMINATION & GRIEVANCE PROCEDURE(DRAFTED AND ADOPTED BY THE NHMEA EXECUTIVE BOARD 1994)NOTICE OF NON-DISCRIMINATION
The New Hampshire Music Educators Association policies do not discriminate in educational programs, auditions, and music festivals on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, or handicap. Any person having inquiries concerning these policies should contact the NHMEA president.
Any person who feels that they have cause to file a complaint of discrimination should present the complaint in accordance with the NHMEA Grievance Procedure.
1. Any participant in an NHMEA sponsored event, who believes that actions taken by the NHMEA or its designates are not in compliance with regulation requirements for nondiscrimination may file a formal complaint.
2. The individual who has a complaint, and is unable to resolve the issue, may address the complaint in writing to the NHMEA chairperson in charge of the event at which the alleged discriminatory incident took place. This formal complaint should be made within fifteen (I5) business days of the event.
3. It will be the chairperson’s responsibility to investigate the circumstances of the complaint, and respond to the complaint no later than five (5) business days after receipt of the complaint. Records of the investigation will be kept by the chairperson.
4. The complainant will no later than five (5) business days after the chairperson’s response:
a) accept the decision, in writing, addressed to the chairperson of the event.
b) disagree with the decision, in writing, addressed to the chairperson of the event and to the President of NHMEA.
5. If a resolution has not been reached, the chairperson will immediately request the NHMEA President to review the complaint. The President will schedule a meeting to take place within five (5) business days of the receipt of the request for review. The meeting participants will include the complainant, the chairperson and the President. Records of this meeting will be kept by the NHMEA President. The President will render a decision no later than (5) business days after this meeting.
6. The complainant will not later than five (5) business days after the President’s response:
a) accept the decision, in writing, addressed to the NHMEA President.
b) disagree with the decision, in writing, addressed to the NHMEA President.
7. If a resolution has not been reached, the NHMEA President will present the complaint to the entire NHMEA Executive Board at the next scheduled NHMEA Board Meeting. The President will inform the complainant as to the time and place for this meeting.
8. The NHMEA Executive Board will make a decision within five (5) business days of the close of the meeting, which shall be final. The NHMEA President will insure that the complainant receives a written copy of the decision. Records of this meeting will be kept by the NHMEA Secretary.