2023 NHMEA Elementary Honors Choir Festival
Date: Friday, March 31, 2023
Location: Grappone Conference Center (GCC), Concord, NH
8:30am Arrival & REGISTRATION
Guest Conductor: Melanie Cometa
Melanie Wade Cometa is the Director of Choral Activities at Ledyard High School, where she conducts over 200 students in nine choirs. Since March 2020, Mrs. Cometa and the Ledyard Choirs have produced over 50 virtual ensemble projects, including three world premieres and a feature-length virtual musical. Her work has been featured on ChoirBuzz, The Choir Project, and most recently at Carnegie Hall. Previously, Mrs. Cometa taught at Grasso Technical High School, where she grew the music program to include over half of the student body. She was named the 2015-16 Grasso Technical High School Teacher of the Year and the 2016 Connecticut Technical High School System Teacher of the Year. Mrs. Cometa was named the 2016 Outstanding Young Choral Director in Connecticut. She was also a quarter-finalist for the 2018 GRAMMY Music Educator Award. She serves as the Treble Choir Repertoire and Resources Chair for CT-ACDA, and is a regular presenter and clinician for conferences and festivals in Connecticut. Mrs. Cometa holds a Bachelor of Music in Music Education and Vocal Performance from Ithaca College, where she studied with Dr. David Parks, Larry Doebler, and Dr. Janet Galván. She has performed as the mezzo-soprano soloist for Mendelssohn’s Magnificat, Bach’s Magnificat, Vivaldi’s Gloria, Vaughan Williams’ Serenade to Music, and Handel’s Messiah, all with the Eastern Connecticut Symphony Chorus and Orchestra. Mrs. Cometa was previously the conductor of The Shoreline Chorale, a community choir in Madison, CT and a member of Voce, a professional chamber choir in Hartford, CT.
- Teachers nominate gr. 4-6 students with an online form (similar to MS festival format).
- Nominations due by January 20, 2023 at 5pm.
- There is a $25 participation fee per student.
- Target chorus membership will be 75-80 singers representing music programs throughout New Hampshire.
- Rehearsals will take place in the Grappone Center and teachers are invited to attend rehearsals. If you are planning on attending the NHMEA workshops, please register for the conference.
- Students will bring a bag lunch, water bottle, music & pencil.
- Students should arrive in black bottom/white top concert attire and wear it throughout the day.
Be the Change, Marc Kaplan & Colin Britt (Justice Choir Songbook)
Bandyrowe, Susan Brumfield
Shady Grove, Nancy Allsbrook & Glenda Goodin
Honeybees, Andrea Ramsey
Everlasting Melody, Rollo Dilworth
CALL FOR COMMITTEE MEMBERS:
Please contact AJ Coppola (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you would like to be involved as a committee member for this festival.