Mike Seckla, coordinator
Students in NHMEA participating school districts and collegiate NHMEA members are invited to submit original compositions to the NHMEA Composition Contest. All submissions will be reviewed and adjudicated by 2 professional composers who will provide written feedback to each student composer. Solo or ensemble compositions of any length (up to 5 minutes), style, and genre are welcome.
Winning compositions at each grade level will be shared at the NHMEA Spring Conference and with the membership of the Association.
● Grade K-5
● Grades 6-8
● Grades 9-12
● Collegiate (NHMEA members only)
● February 4, 2022- Deadline for submitting application form, registration fee, and scores and/or recordings.
● March 11, 2022 – Directors receive adjudicator feedback and contest winners are notified.
● April 8, 2022- Winners will be recognized at NHMEA Spring All-Member Meeting
● All materials must be received by February 4, 2022
● A registration fee of $15/composition for grades K-8 and $25 for grades 9-collegiate is required.
● School Participation Fees must be paid and collegiate composers must be NHMEA members.
● Compositions for students in grades K-8 must not exceed 3 minutes. Compositions for students in grades 9-Collegiate must not exceed 5 minutes.
● When possible, a PDF of a score and an audio recording should be submitted.
● Winners in each category and their recordings will be announced to the Association via email and at the Spring Conference
In general, compositions will be judged using criteria established by NYSSMA and NAfME.
1. Remove all info identifying student and school from the score and/or recording.
2. By February 5, 2022, send an email to email@example.com. The subject line must contain the Student Name and School. In the body of the email, please include the Student Name, Title of Composition, Director’s Name, School, and Directors Phone and preferred Email, and program notes (if applicable). Directors submitting multiple compositions should send multiple emails.
3. Attached to the email should be an anonymized pdf of the score and/or a recording. Both formats are encouraged. Each file must be labeled with the title of the composition.
4. Composers are encouraged (but not required) to include program notes for their composition.
5. Send one check payable to NHMEA along with the School Registration Form to Mike Seckla, Hudson Memorial School, 1 Memorial Drive, Hudson NH, 03051. Registration form is available to print at nhmea.org on the composition contest page, under Student Events.